Sunday 6 October 2013

TUM

I still have no event to train for.  And that's ok, because I've fallen a bit of the training treadmill, missing 3 out of 4 planned windtrainer sessions over the last couple of weeks.  I just couldn't drag myself out of bed at 5.30 to do them, so slept till 8 instead.  I'ven ot managed to pull out another long run since my 17km either, although Clare and I comfortably up to 14km for our midweek run, which is actually a long run for me!  I'm calling it a rest fortnight......

In my defence, my road bike has actually been off the windtrainer and out into the fresh air for the first time in 6+ months.  Tom pumped my tyres, and I flew along the road, feeling every bump and woosh as a car went past.  I felt just as vulnerable as I do in a cocktail dress and high heels.  It's a matter of time before I hit the ground.

The last month or so has been a bit of an inner turmoil.  Tarawera Ultra Marathon.  Clare suggested it to our crew a couple of years ago, that we did one 20km leg each in a relay.  She was laughed off the planet.  "Ultra" and "Marathon" together just weren't a good combination for the rest of us.  But the terrain and the adventure of it, definitely appeals, and I've been spending more and more time on the website.  There is a 60km leg, and with some loose maths I worked out if we ran 8km an hour (which sounded reasonable) we could run for 2 hours, walk for half an hour, and repeat this till we finished.

Unfortunately, someone who has actually RUN the TUM killed that theory, apparently we won't be able to maintain 8km hours.  Rats.

I'm not sure what genetic mutation of my brain even contemplates running 60km.  I've run 21km, twice, in just over two hours each time.  One of those courses you couldn't pay me to set my foot on again.  I could probably count the number of runs over 10km that I've done on my fingers and toes.  In my whole life.  Maybe not.  But it would be close.  I've never run a marathon, and have always said it's a good way to either ruin your knees, or die of boredom, doing the same thing for hours on end.

But I'm a bit obsessed with it, and every time I come up with some reason why I really can't do it, i find myself wondering if I really could.

My biggest inhibitors:
1)  Full time mum of two young children, Part time teacher - I just don't have time for the sort of training required.
2) For medical reasons which I won't go into detail of, I am uncomfortable when I run.  It's not damaging, I just can't relax.  So, I don't really enjoy my runs that much.
3) I have a tweak in my knee which is showing potential to develop into something.  I'm going to get new shoes and hopefully this will sort it, but while I might sprain ankles or break fingers, I don't often get a gradual injury.  It reminds me that I'm not invincible, and 60km is a long way with lots of training ks required.
4) It costs like $260.  For that sort of money, I need to enjoy it, not endure it.  But, is enduring it actually the whole point?

But that small hyper-focus part of my brain, would love such a challenge to aim for.  Everytime I come up with a good reason why NOT, Clare has a good reason WHY.  I've been trying to convince her to upgrade to 85km, because then she's allowed a pace runner and I could join her for part of it.  She's not really bought that yet....

Realistically, I think I should stick to my plan of getting really comfortable with 21km.  Get myself that strength base and try to develop comfort when I run.  Enjoy it.  I'd like to enter a 21km race and finish it in under 2hours.  Running on a flat road course to increase my chances of a good time, would be worse than torture, so I'll need to be strong to manage this on an off road trail.  Then, maybe a trail marathon in the middle of next year.  A couple of months off for a rest (hockey season) then come September I'll have nearly 7 months to train for TUM, with the knowledge that I can do 42km under my belt, and I just need to touch out an extra 18km.

March 2015.  Tarawera Ultra Marathon.  60km Solo.  Deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment